Monday, August 21

My Love Affair with Poetry Writing

Myrtle Beach Fall 2016 Vacation Series #9

Reassurances
clouds have replaced the sun
dark blues and grays
beach chairs and umbrellas
highlighted spots on the sand
from the sixteenth floor;
seagulls fly at eye level
down drafts of wind
pushed to the ground rebound
far beneath my balcony
seen through an open door;
Astill waters like a lake move
steadily towards an unseen shore
anchored boats roll gently over waves
as do three jet ski buoys
and the horizon draws ever closer;
darkened days delight the sunburned
while fees are paid for the week,
we continue with our plans to
lounge in chairs on the beach
reading what we can while there;.
clouds have replaced the sun
but we all know it is still there
and inside this light of each day
we find many sound reassurances.
27Sept16


As I recall, I wrote my first poem in high school using green ink.  I had a refillable cartridge ink pen and could only find green ink.  The poem was inspired by the song TIRED OF WAITING by the Kinks.

When I graduated and went to college, I did not write at all.  After 3 years, I dropped out, got married, joined the military for 2 years, and returned to college in 1972.  It was then that I began writing poems every day.

I would got to McDonalds or Hardees and buy a large cup of coffee (free refills) and write for an hour before going to class.  I went to classes in the mornings and worked in the afternoons.  When I graduated from college, I continued to write each morning for an hour before going to work.

This practice of writing early in the morning continued from 1972 until 1990 when I relocated from NC to TN...  I got a divorce in 1993, married a second time in 1998.  While I did not continue to write each day, I found time to write several times a week.

My second wife and I liked to got to Myrtle Beach, SC each summer for a week and while we sat under the umbrellas and watched the Atlantic Ocean, she would read and I would write.

The above poem is from one of those Myrtle Beach visits and was more than likely published on my blog Reflectionsinthoughts.blogspot.com.

I created that blog to publish all the poems that I have written over the years...  since I am still in possession of all of them.  However, instead of going back into my files, finding the poems, and then typing them up on the blog, I have found it much easier to think up an idea every other day or so.

Usually, I will write two poems at one time...  wait a couple of days, then write two more.  I have no idea if the poems are any good or not, but the thoughts just seem to pop into my head.  Sometimes, they make sense and sometimes they don't.

I was looking though my files today (for some reason) and found the above poem from 2016 and decided to post it on my JOURNAL blog along with a short explanation of my poetry writing history.

YOUR THOUGHTS ARE WELCOMED AND ENCOURAGED...




No comments:

Post a Comment