Friday, August 25

Remembering

One of the things that human beings do well is remember.  We help ourselves remember by saving letters and cards and taking lots of photographs and videos.


I remember doing all of that at some point in time during my life, but I never remember going back and looking at them, unless a photo was sent to me via email.


How far back do you remember?

  • when you were first born
  • when you were 3 years old
  • when you were 8 years old or ten


Sometimes when I have nothing better to do, I will try and remember all my girlfriends...  or all my lovers... or the friends I had in elementary school or high school.

I remember a few from high school and that's because we stayed in touch with each other.

I remember 2 people from when I was in the military but only 1 from college and 1 from graduate school.

I remember only 2-3 co-workers after a 45 year career and only 1 of my bosses.


Is there something wrong with my mind, I have asked myself over and over?  But, I have no answers.


I was married 23 years before getting a divorce and remember her name and can visualize her parents, brother and sister, but cannot remember anything that we did together.  Yet, I know we did numerous things together.


I have been married to my second wife for 25 years and cannot remember some of the vacations that she said we had when sharing those stories with friends.

Is there something wrong with my mind?


I am 75 years old and sometimes do not remember what I did yesterday or what I had to eat or if I cooked that meal or just put something in the microwave.


I don't remember directions even though I am the one who is driving the vehicle but I vaguely recall some of the scenery that we pass when making that trip again.


On the other side of the coin, I remember my social security number and the address of our home when I was in elementary school and the name of the community.  But, if I was up there and in that area, I could not tell you how to drive there.


I vividly remember the last time that I saw my daughter but not what she was wearing.  I can see her face, her hair, and her smile...  but, I don't know if any of that is right or just a MEMORY.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment