Wednesday, August 23

Slow Down Growing Old

 As we get older, we lose physical strength, mental ability, and begin to experience all sorts of aches and pains as our joints begin to wear out.  We are also good candidates for serious diseases like diabetes, heart disease, dementia, and a variety of cancers.


Because our physical strength declines, there is a tendency for us to exercise less while not cutting back on our eating habits, causing weight gain that is difficult to lose at that older age.  My doctors recommend that we start following the Mediterranean Diet and Mediterranean lifestyle.


Foods not allowed on the Mediterranean Diet:

  1. Red meat.
  2. Processed meat and foods.
  3. Sweets.
  4. Alcohol.
  5. Butter.
  6. Whole-fat dairy.
  7. Sugary drinks.

What is the Mediterranean Lifestyle?
People who adhere to a Mediterranean lifestyle—which includes a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains; healthy eating habits like limiting added salt and sugars; and habits promoting adequate rest, physical activity, and socialization.  Source:  Harvard University


I am not sure why this is called the Mediterranean Lifestyle because this is the lifestyle that I have been living for the last 30 years.  While this lifestyle was started by me because I quit smoking at age 40, I still had a heart attack and I still got cancer(s), and I still had 5 lumbar disks fused because of spinal stenosis.   

My doctors told me that my health condition would have been worse had I not made this change at age 40...  I am in a position where I have no choice but to believe them.

Over the last few years, my exercising has decreased because of the fatigue and nausea associated with my cancer and its treatments.  I work around the house, but that is not the same thing as walking a mile a day like I used to do.

The Mediterranean Diet/Lifestyle is better for you than other diets or not dieting at all...  and it is widely believed that this lifestyle will slow down the aging process...  but it is not only diet, exercise, and socializing...  one must keep busy as well...  that is not to say busy work but having a hobby.

In addition, mental activity is necessary as well.  This mental activity could come from teaching yourself something new, crossword puzzles, or playing strategy board games.

My hobby and mental activity includes the following:
  • maintaining two blogs daily
  • writing novels
  • writing poetry
  • playing chess
  • teaching myself theoretical physics

My days pass quickly but I am not bored nor am I anxious looking for something to do.  I eat 3-4 small meals a day, healthy snacks, and sometimes take afternoon naps.  I shower and shave every other day and stay out of direct sunlight in the summer.  

I talk with the neighbors from time-to-time and go shopping with my wife.  I wake up about 8am and go to bed about 9pm.  I eat fish, chicken, beans, veges, rice, and noodles.  I eat eggs once in a while and have an oatmeal cookie or lemon cookie daily to keep me honest on my diet.

Each day is enjoyed and lived as best as I know how to live it.

No comments:

Post a Comment