Wednesday, August 30

More From an Amateur Chef

I am not sure if calling me an amateur chef is totally accurate or not, since I have no nor formal or informal training at all.  I look at recipes to see the list of ingredients but then do not follow the recipe's instructions.  


Most of the time, I am just tossing stuff together to see if it takes good or not.  Interestingly enough, I never taste while I am cooking to see if it needs anything, because I would not know how its tastes nor would I know what to add.


Recently, I have had a couple of successes that I would like to share with you.


The first one started with a can of yellow squash and Vidalia onions. I like both of those but I knew I needed to build it up a little.  I started to cook a turkey burger in a pan so that I could chop it up into tiny pieces rather than cook it like a hamburger.  Once it was cooked, I added the can of squash and onions and let that cook a while.  To that mixture I added some angel hair spaghetti noodles and once it was all properly combined, I let it cook awhile to boil out some of the juice and make it thicker.


Not only did boiling out the juices help, but the dish was delicious.


My second creation starts with hard boiling 4 eggs for 12 minutes once the water starts boiling.  Let the eggs cool, add cold water and let them stand for an hour or two.  Peel the shells off and chop them up into very tiny bits and pieces with a fork.  To that I added 4 green onions that were cut up into small slices.  Pepper was added next along with Parseley and chives.   I just sprinkled until I thought there was enough in the bowl.


To this mixture I added bacon bits and shredded cheese that was both white and yellow.  Finally, 2-3 tablespoons of mayonnaise were added and everything was mixed up as thoroughly as possible.


I will toast some English muffins and spread a spoonful of the mixture on each half for breakfast tomorrow.  I usually have just one English muffin but I may just have two...  anticipating that it is going to taste good.


These two meals may not seem like much but I enjoy taking the time to pretend that I am a chef, knowing that my personality would never allow me to be a real chef.  


From what I have seen on the Food Network, being a chef is TEDIOUS WORK, requires a good memory, and a great sense of taste...  and creativity does not hurt either.

No comments:

Post a Comment