Thursday, August 31

Labor Day Weekend Holiday

 As we move towards the LABOR DAY WEEKEND, I am reminded of the holiday.


Labor Day is a federal holiday in the United States celebrated on the first Monday in September to honor and recognize the American labor movement and the works and contributions of laborers to the development and achievements of the United States. The three-day weekend it falls on is called Labor Day Weekend. Wikipedia


This holiday has been observed for about 141 years of which many of us are not aware.

I remember when I was a boy in Alexandria, VA, summer was bordered by two long weekends.  Memorial Day weekend on the front end and Labor Day weekend on the tail end.  School usually began the day after Labor Day.

The reason that changed was because teachers bitched that they were not being paid enough money...  so, in order to increase their wages, the school year was extended...  consequently, school re-opened their doors before the Labor Day Weekend holidays.

While working, many employers penalized you, if you did not work on either side of the holiday.  Of course, you could avoid that penalty by taking a vacation day on Friday.

My approach was to take two vacation days on either side of both Memorial and Labor Day weekends so that I could get two weeks vacation for only 4 days.  That 5th day would be taken on one side of the July 4 holiday.

Since most employers gave me a minimum of two weeks, my second week was taken between two weekends, leaving right after work on Friday.

Now that I am not working, it was only today that I realized we were heading into a long weekend which prompted this posting.

It is important at least from labor's point of view to have time off from work.  Some of us enjoys or enjoyed our work, while others did not.  Most of time when employees do not like their work, it is because of their SUPERVISOR and not the actual work itself.

While this is associated with blue collar workers, it is also what happens within the ranks of management.  Most of the time, supervisors are ASSHOLES because there is a perception that their subordinates will not work or do what is right with someone standing over them making sure it gets done right.

Why does that bother me?
When I was teaching, my supervisor would tell me how to teach...  even though that supervisor had no experience teaching or what little experience teaching that they had, the students gave them POOR EVALUATIONS.
How could they advise me on what to do when they could not even do it well themselves?

No comments:

Post a Comment