Sunday, August 27

Getting Old is INEVITABLE

 At the end of October this year, I will be 76 years old and while many people say that age is just a number, I feel every year of my age.


When I was younger, I lifted weights, played all kinds of sports:  football, baseball, track & field, volleyball, and soccer.  In my early 30s and 40s, I was running 1-2 miles a day during my lunch hour on M-F.  That running damaged my knees, so I walked as fast as I could for 60-90 minutes 7 days a week.


At the age of 40, I stopped smoking cigarettes, stopped drinking alcohol, stopped eating sugar food, and stopped eating fried foods.  I stopped eating red meat and focused on chicken, fish, beans, and veggies.  But, at the age of 60, I had a severe heart attack and was diagnosed with Lymphoma.  Five years later, I was diagnosed with Melanoma.  In 2022, I had five lumbar disks fused together and currently I am undergoing physical therapy for a rotator cuff at my right shoulder.


WHAT'S THE POINT OF ALL OF THIS???


No matter what I did when I was younger, my body unfortunately AGED...  and it aged regardless of all that I did to keep it young and youthful.


So, if you do not take care of your body when you are young, it will fall apart faster and worse than my body failed me.  This, I suppose is a warning...  unfortunately, few will heed my advice.


Another issue that many will refuse to believe until it happens is that LIFE FLIES BY QUICKLY...  faster than you anticipate that it will.  It is difficult to look in the future and painful to look back at what you did or did not do.  I learned this lesson the hard way...  and no doubt you will too.  That fatal flaw is just who we are as human beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment