Thursday, August 24

Buy Only What You Need

 I drive a 2015 Venza that I bought used in 2016.  It had been leased and only have 4,500 miles on the odometer.  The purchase price was several thousand dollars less than if I had purchased it new.  The vehicle has about 85,000 miles on it now, so I have been adding about 10,000 each year.  


I have all the regular maintenance performed exactly when it is indicated, and I have an oil change every 10,000 mile and rotate the tires every other oil change.  I am sure that it will last another 5 years, but I would like to keep it until it reaches 150,000 miles on the odometer.


I have a policy not to buy new cars when you can get a year-old car (if you look around) much cheaper and just as good.


Why do I want to do that?

To make my money last as long as it can...   I buy only that which I need, not that which I just want.


I have 12 pairs of shoes that I hardly ever wear, if at all, simply because I wanted them but did not need them.  The same holds true for baseball caps, T-shirts, short pants, as well as long pants, and jackets.


How many jackets can one wear at one time?  They are not even color coordinated with my winter clothes.


During my working career, I purchased 10 or more suits, numerous dress shirts and ties that I wore to work.  I am sure I could have gotten away with just 2-3 but I simply wanted more.  I gave all my suits away to Habitat for Humanity to sell and just kept 1 suit and one dress jacket in case I ever needed them for a funeral or something.


The money I spent on stuff I did not need, could have been invested to grow my retirement funds.  Once you realize that you are wasting money by spending it needlessly, then you an adjust your buying habits.


If you are wealthy and have money to burn, then spend away...


What I find really humorous is all the TV commercials are basically marketing ads trying to get you to buy stuff that you don't really need.  These commercials air around TV Shows that show the characters wearing the same clothes over and over again.


I remember one law enforcement show, where the lead detective wore the same leather jacket in every single episode.  You never saw him in another jacket even when he was not working.  You would think that he would have several jackets to wear...  but no, he wore only one...   I wonder why?





No comments:

Post a Comment