Tuesday, August 8

The Need for Alcohol

My father used to come home from work every night and stand by the kitchen sink with a bottle of Bourbon and a glass.  He would pour the glass half full of Bourbon and drink it down, then fill the glass with water and drink all of that down.  Sometimes, he would stand there for 10 minutes before doing it again, and sometimes once was enough.


After watching my dad do that every night, I decided I would never put myself in a position where I felt like I had to do that.


I am still amazed when I talk to people who feel the need to drink alcohol every night after work.  To me, it seems like something is wrong with them or something is wrong with work.


This one guy I talked with said he drank a six pack of beer every night except Friday nights.  On Friday night, he would get himself a pint of whiskey and a steak.  Once the steak was cooked, he would drink the pint of whiskey while eating the steak.  After 20 years of doing this, he ended up becoming a very obese individual.  A routine operation killed him because he was so overweight.


I am not sure what has caused so many people to drink alcohol daily...  but, what I notice when watching TV or some kind of series, those characters drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes all the time as if it were a normal part of life.


People who let themselves get influenced by actors on the screen must have weak personalities that continue to influence their bad or inappropriate behavior.


I am not opposed to drinking and I drink beer, wine, and usually vodka and tonic or gin an lime.  But, I don't drink because I am stressed out.  I don't drink because I am angry or in some kind of emotional pain.  I drink because it is relaxing, somewhat enjoyable once in a while, and only have 1-2 drinks and no more.


In 2015, I would have 1-2 drinks a month and now it is probably 1-2 drinks a year.  There are other ways for me to relax I have found plus the cost of alcohol is rather high and does not seem like a good way to spend one's money.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment