Tuesday, June 1

Racial Intermingling

 

When I was in high school in Cairo, Egypt, Americans and Foreigners regardless of color and ethnicity would spend time together...  that is to say we would date, attend parties and other gathering together, and vacation with each other without the slightest bit of concern.

When I was in college in North Carolina, there were very few minorities attending that college other than females and a handful of foreign students and that difference did not prevent us from socializing outside of attending our classes.

When I was in the military, our ship, the USS Recovery, was a salvage and rescue vessel with a crew of 86 which included officers.  Since officers and enlisted personnel did not fraternize with each other, there were virtually no minorities on our vessel with which to intermingle.

When I was working and during my career of 45 years, I very seldom socialized or intermingled with co-workers unless it was at a company sponsored event; therefore, there was never an opportunity for me to socialize or intermingle with any minorities other than females.

Now that I am retired, I live in a small community, and while there is no community restraints from allowing blacks or foreigners into our community, no blacks or foreigners have ever elected to live here except an new friend of mine called Daniel and his wife, who is Mexican and his wife an American Caucasian.  We talk when we find ourselves outside mowing our lawns at the same time.

During my monthly chemo visits to the hospital, every once in a while, I am attended by a black nurse who treats me the exact same way that she treats all her other patients and I respond in kind.  My Oncologist is Egyptian and I trust him implicitly with my health and have never once questioned his judgement as to how I should be treated.

SYSTEMATIC RACISM DOES NOT REACH OUT TO ME NOR DO I REACH OUJ TO IT...  and, it bothers me when I hear the mainstream media claim how prevalent racism is in the USA...  because I do not see it and I have have never seen it...  although I have heard people talk about it and make racist comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment