Friday, June 18

Rows of Houses

When I was growing up just outside of Alexandria, VA, we lived in a community called Wellington Heights where the houses were close to each other but not that close...  still, I remember my father saying that he did not want to live in a community where he could reached out the bedroom window and touch the house next door.  Now, this was an exaggeration but I have driven through communities where this is the norm...  like the photo on the left...  and most of these houses are fairly large, there is precious little room to go outside and be alone unless you construct a privacy fence in between the houses on your left and right as well as the one behind you...  obviously there is a road in front of you otherwise you would have to be air-dropped onto your property.

Some say this is still a good example of THE AMERICAN DREAM and expected by those who want to live in this type of environment...  I do not.  And, this is why I decided to remain in the South and earn less money than I could by moving up North, so that I could have a little elbow room wherever I wanted to live.  I have always had at least an acre of land surrounding my house in a variety of configurations some of which were appealing while others were not.

However, if you like this type of CLOSENESS, then this is what you should try and find yourself and even down here in the South you can find communities where houses and homes are placed side by side with space in between where only one person can walk at a time.  And the property values are so high because many people want to live like that...   you might as well stay in the city and pay rent for an apartment than have to maintain a house and cannot go get your mail in your underwear without a neighbor calling the police and reporting you for indecent exposure.

No comments:

Post a Comment