Saturday, September 7

Computer Technology

 

Years ago, late 1990s/early 2000s, I was a MCSE, knew how to build computers and had my own network set up in my home consisting of four desktop computers and one laptop, using Windows NT as my operating system.


What was great about my network other than five different people could be on the internet simultaneously, was that I had access to data stored on five hard drives, giving me, at that time, almost unlimited storage, based upon my needs.


I was as happy as a hog in mud.


A few years later, Windows changed its network operating system and not only would I have had to purchase that new one (no trade in value applied) but I would have had to upgrade my CPU, memory chips, and hard drive because this new system was so large which they referred to as being more robust.


So, there was the problem that we all must now live with...

OUR COMPUTERS ARE ONLY GOOD FOR ABOUT 3-5 YEARS AND THEN THEY NEED TO BE UPGRADED BECAUSE OUR SOFTWARE PACKAGES ARE ALWAYS BECOMING MORE ROBUST.


Computers have a built-in obsolescence due to technology always advancing.


Consequently...

those who manufacture and sell computers and their components will NEVER GO OUT OF BUSINESS and will continue to get more wealthy.

Whereas...

the users will always be faced with upgrading and shelling out a couple of grand every three years because the old computer can no longer function properly.


FACEBOOK, GOOGLE, AMAZON while they currently have the largest market share for the service they provide will constantly have to INNOVATE in order to remain in the lead.


For example, most web browsers are getting money from companies so that these companies can spy on the user to see what they are buying or looking at, and then inundate them with targeted marketing.  I am we all have experienced surfing the web for places to stay at a resort location only to find that we now receive all kinds of ads for things around that resort.  It is very annoying.


DUCK DUCK GO has a web browser where that does not happen, at least for now.

How much business will DUCK DUCK GO take away from other web browsers?

It's hard to say...

BUT...

if it loses a lot, then the web browsers will change how they do business.


Technology has changed our lives for good and there is no telling how our lives will continue to change because of Technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment