Tuesday, August 2

Trying to go GREEN

 Just for shits and giggles, I decided to look into what it would cost my wife and me if we decided to go GREEN.


First, I would look into installing solar panels on our roof.  Assuming that our roof was in perfect shape, the cost of solar panels would be $16,000 on average.  If those solar panels provided all our electrical needs, we would save $150 each month.  Which means it would take us 8-10 years just to BREAK EVEN on our investment.  

I would be 85 years old and my wife 80.  And, the odds are we would have already sold our house and moved into an apartment...  Those solar panels would not really increase the value of our home.

Second, I looked into buying an all electric vehicle.  An SUV is the only vehicle, at our age, that allows us to get in and out of comfortably and since I just recently had 5 lumbar disks fused, an SUV is the only vehicle in which I would feel comfortable while riding.

SUV electric vehicles start at $60,000.   I have never paid that much money for a vehicle in my entire life so far.  The size of the battery matters not just for its ability to charge quickly but to travel long distances.

So, now we are looking at $80,000 or higher unless I buy a used EV inherently would come with problems.

In order to charge the vehicle at my home, I would need to invest in a Level 1 charger which is $1,000, and another $2,000 to install.

If I want to have my EV charge completely when traveling in an hour, the electrical costs will be $50 which is about the same amount as filling up with gasoline at $4+/gallon...

In other words, NO REAL SAVINGS...  but a lot of additional costs.

Installing a Level 2 charging station might cause me to increase the amount of current that is already coming into the house.  That would not be cheap either.

Then, there is switching to an electric lawn mower and an electric weed eater, plus an electric trimmer for the fall and an electric chain saw for tree limbs.

AND...   WHAT ABOUT ALL THOSE CELEBRITIES AND PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES STILL FLYING AROUND IN THEIR PRIVATE JETS???

DIDN'T A LOT OF THIS SHIT START WITH THEM???

I live on a limited income and I just cannot take money out of savings to buy all this electric shit, when I need that money to pay for my health and old age care.

Do we really think going GREEN is the right solution especially when countries like China, Russia, and India have no plans to do anything...  their efforts will nullify our efforts...  which means we are just being plain stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment