Monday, August 29

 


I walked this morning at 8:30 am and it was 77 degrees which is fairly mild for a walker, but the humdity this morning was 88% so walking early in the morning actually made very little difference.


So, why share this incident at all?


We need to be aware of our environment rather than being unaware of what is going on because it is our health that is on the line and the older we get the more aware we should become.


I check my weight every morning and count my calories every day and I do this to make sure that I am maintaining...


I did not need to do this when I was 40, 50, or even 60...  but, as soon as I turned 60, my healthy, athletic  body began to fall apart.  In 2008 I was diagnosed with cancer and had a heart attack.  And, what is interesting about my heart attack is that I stopped smoking 20 years earlier and I had stopped drinking alcohol 20 years earlier and I had stopped eating red meat, sugars, and fried foods, 20 years earlier.  And, to cap it all off, my wife and I were fast walking 5 miles a day, 7 days a week...  and yet, I still had a heart attack.


At soon to be 75 years old, I am keenly aware of my health and pay attention to all aspects of my health of which I am aware just to make sure nothing sneaks up on me.


My level 5 lumbar disk fusion is the latest issue that I have needed to face.  My orthopedic  surgeon said if I had not been healthy, my back situation would have been worse...  well hell, that's comforting...  So, now I have to spend the next 3-9 months recovering from this trauma...  I say 3-9 months, because I have already experience 12 weeks since surgery.


I walk 1.5 miles for 6 days then take 1 day off to allow my body to recover.  It takes me about 36 minutes to walk that distance and I have been using a walking stick.


I am determined and disciplined and have no doubts at all that I will live past 95 years of age.  When I recover from this latest surgery, not only will I walk everyday but I will go to the gym and workout on strength machines...   giving up 90 minutes a day is not a bad price to pay to remain healthy.


It also helps to have a positive attitude, especially when retired, and to keep one'self busy by doing something that stimulates the mind and I don't mean just watch shows on cable TV.


For me, I maintain 2 blogs daily as well as spend time writing novels that require me doing research.  I also have interest in:

  • Ancient Aliens/Extraterrestrials
  • Astronomy
  • Theoretical Physics
  • Quantum Mechanics
  • Cosmology
  • Cosmic Consciousness
  • Politics & Economics
  • Multi-dimensions
  • Parallel Universes
  • Physchology


No comments:

Post a Comment