Friday, August 26

Medical Update

 

I am ending my 14th year of cancer treatments and will soon be entering my 15th year...  my cancer in non-hodgkin's Lymphoma and about 5 years after my initial treatments I was also diagnosed with Melanoma (possibly as a result of the drugs used to contain my Lymphoma) that forced my Oncologist to change from chemotherapy to immunotherapy augmented by radiation...  the new recommended treatment for Melanoma...  I switched from infusions for Lymphoma to taking daily pills for Lymphoma which my insurance company refused to pay 100% because they were so expensive.


When my cancer treatment began 14 years ago, I had also experienced a heart attack and instead of a triple bypass that was recommended, I had 5 stents inserted  in 3 heart operations.  A recent surgery indicated that my stents were still in pristine condition and my heart arteries remained clear of plaque.


About 4/5 months, I was having back problems that resulted in an MRI that result in back surgery 10 weeks ago to fuse 5 lumbar disks.  My recovery is incredibly slow and I am currently undergoing bursitis therapy on my left hip that resulted from my surgery...  I do not see my orthopedic surgeon until week 14.


Yesterday, I met with my Oncologist to hear the results of my CT scan before my monthly treatment, and the scan showed an increase in my abdomen area - all else was contained.  My oncologist thought that this was just a result of me stopping my daily pills for 3 weeks because of the surgery and he ordered another CT scan in 6 weeks to see if this was remedied.  If not, he was considering increasing my daily pill dosage.


The pills that he is referring to is IMBRUVICA and I take 2-140 mg pills each...  he can increase to 480 but no higher.  This pills over the long haul destroy the iron in my hemaglobin...  some what of a CATCH 22 situation for those of you who know about catch 22.  An increase in pill dosage would also increase fatigue which I need to recover from my back surgery by walking.


In October, I will be 75 and some people think that I have lived long enough...  maybe so...  but I think I will live another 20 years...  my mother lived to age 95 and I would like to live longer...


I eat healthy

I keep my mind active

I am exercising regularly

I sleep the required time

I have low stress and anxiety

I have a positive outlook

I live with 3 cats

I am married

I have friends

My financial income will always be sufficient

I have faith in a creator even though I am not that religious

I have no debt


What else do I need?

No comments:

Post a Comment