Monday, December 11

Advice I Would Have Given My Young Self


 I have heard lots of people make the comment that...    

 if I had it to over again, I would have lived my life differently...  

and I am sure that they are sincere, but reflections like that are impractical and illogical because that chance would never happen, so why even consider it?


Personally, I would not have lived my life any differently if I had the chance because the way my life was and is currently being lived, is the way it was intended to be lived from the GETGO...


However,

with that said, I would have given my younger self the following advice...


DON'T BE GREEDY WITH YOUR CAREER THINKING THAT THERE MIGHT BE SOMETHING BETTER ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD.


Why am I giving this advice?

Several times during my 45 year career, I changed my employers thinking that this move which provide me with greater and greater wealth.

The question that I did not ask myself was:  

Why did I think I need this extra wealth?

The answer was simple...   EGO


In 1977, I was in a great position with a Community College in North Carolina and had I stayed there for 20 years, I would have retired in 1997 at the age of 50.  Obviously, I would not have retired, but I could have either stayed there or looked for another 20 year career from 50-70.


In 1990, I had a great position with a Community College in Tennessee and had I stayed there, I could have retired in 2010 after 20 years or 2015 (the year I actually retired) after 25 years.


LOOKING BACK....

I would not have changed anything...  but had I been able to give myself advice, I MAY have lived my life a little differently because I had made different decisions.


IF...   I was in a position to live my life again...  I probably would have stayed in the Navy for 20 years and gotten my bachelor's and master's degrees while on active duty.  1969-1989...   I then would have either applied for a teaching position while getting my PHD or simply gotten my PHD and then looked for a teaching position...  

  • PHD - 1989-1991
  • Teaching - 1991-2011/2015

Retirement:   

  1. Military - 20 years
  2. Teaching - 20 years
  3. Social Security - 40 quarters or 10 years


No comments:

Post a Comment