Friday, December 22

I Like to Doodle

I was in the US Navy from 1969 until 1975, stationed in Norfolk, Virginia at the Little Creek Piers.  I was on the USS Recovery ARS 43.  It was a salvage and rescue ship.  I was in communications and every time we went out to sea, I would volunteer for the midnight shift from 11:00 pm until 7:00 am.  At that time in my life, I enjoyed being alone and away from people as often as possible.

During my shift, my duties became routine, and I found myself needing something to do for 30 minutes out of each hour.  That is when I began doodling.  

When I got out of the Navy and returned to College, I would doodle in my notebooks while listening to the professor's lecture.  If something was important, I would stop doodling, write it down, then continue doodling.

At home I would doodle while watching TV or talking on the phone.  Sometimes, I would just doodle to pass the time.

Examples of my doodling below:





I am not sure if I ever kept any of my doodles that I did while in the Navy but since then, I have tried to keep all of my other doodles.

WHY?

Not sure why.
  • To go back an look at from time to time.
  • Doodles are like artwork.

I have seen the doodles of other people and their doodles are faces, buildings, trees, etc.  To me, they are the real artists, not me.

But they are interesting to me and worth sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment