Sunday, December 17

Buddhism


Three Universal Truths

  • Everything in life is impermanent and always changing.
  • Because nothing is permanent, a life based on possessing things or persons doesn't make you happy.
  • There is no eternal, unchanging soul and "self" is just a collection of changing characteristics or attributes.
Four Schools of Buddhism
  • Theravada - focuses on the teachings of Buddha
  • Mahayana - focuses on the road to enlightenment
  • Vajrayana - focuses on tantric practices
  • Zen - focuses on meditation to achieve mindfulness

Buddhism concentrates its efforts on:  happiness, peace of mind, joy, mindfulness all of which changes as we grow older.

In North America, South America, and Central America Europe, China, Australia, and parts of the Middle East, we focus our attention on WEALTH and POSSESSIONS.  But, as we age, we change, and when we change those possessions don't mean much anymore...   however, we have wealth, so we buy more and are temporarily happy until we change again.

You may not like to hear this, but Native Americans are closer to the philosophy of Buddha than we are or than we will ever be.

When my wife and I downsized, we threw away 1/2 of what we had.  I had 20+ file boxes full of educational materials that I had acquired during my professional career that I was keeping because it was a part of who I was...  holding onto them meant something.  When we toss everything into the landfill, who I was did not change, because I only threw away the past.

  • We don't live in the past.
  • We don't live in the future...  at least not yet.
  • We live in the present that constantly changes every second.

It is difficult for many of us not to want more and more because that is what we have been taught.  The only people that understand this are the poor people because they have been forced into that realty and have learned to accept their positions in life.  However, if they had an opportunity, they would want more rather than accept what they have.

There was a time in my life where I wanted more and because I wanted more, I made decisions that supported and influenced my thoughts.  I soon discovered that after a while, each one of those decisions never made me feel any better about myself than I had felt before.

Fortunately, retirement puts us all into a position whereby accepting the Buddhist philosophy is more acceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment