Thursday, December 14

American Made Value Has Been Dead Since the !960s

In 1967, I purchased a specialty ordered 1967 Plymouth Barracuda convertible with a 383, 4-barrel carburetor, and four on the floor...  standard was a 273, 2-barrel carburetor, and automatic.  


I kept that car for over 30 years.  Had the engine rebuilt at 200,000 miles, repainted in the original candy apple red pigment, a new top that glass in the back instead of plastic.  I also replaced the seats and carpet.  


This cost me about $2,500 and I paid $3,500 for the car so I had $6,000 invested in it.  The car had over 350,000 miles on it when it was sold...  maybe closer to 400,000 but I cannot be sure about that.


Before I sold it, I would take her out on the interstate and blow her out somewhere around 100-120 mph on a straight away.   It felt good to be driving that kind of power.


Today's cars are not like the cars they manufactured in the 1960s.  Not sure why that is because of all the advanced technology but once you hit 100,000 miles on a car, it is time to look for a new one.  However, Toyota has a reputation of going 200,000 to 300,000 miles before it starts to have problems.


When you think about this longevity issue for a while, it begins to make sense.  The consumer market is only so big...  one would call it finite even with an increasing birthrate.  So, the only way to continue that you can increase revenues year after year, is to make products that don't last long and need to be replaced.


This is not just true with vehicles but with appliances, hand tools, electronic equipment although this last one is replaced primarily because technology has improved and not because its components have worn out.


My parents kitchen appliances, washer and dryer, lasted over 30 years and were replaced not because they were not working but because my parents wanted the newer technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment