Wednesday, December 27

Odds and Ends

In 1969, I enlisted in the US Navy Reserves in what was called back then a 2X4 program.  Two years active duty and 4 years in the active reserves.  I actually spent 21 months on active duty because I got out 3 months early to return to college.  The GI Bill paid for my last two years in college and the entire two years of graduate school.  I WAS LEFT WITH NO STUDENT DEBT.


My professional career lasted 45 years and in 1990 I formed and incorporated a consulting company through which I flowed all my money, and which afforded me a reduction on my taxes.  I was also able to purchase three homes when I was unemployed by using my company's income tax returns.


I am not wealthy, nor am I well off financially but I have saved just enough money to pay for my wife and my expenses until we are both age 95.  At which point, I will have no money at all.  We will both die broke.  Both our children have told us that never counted on receiving an inheritance from us so they have prepared for their own retirement accordingly.


During the course of my lifetime so far, I have struggled with understanding mankind's purpose on earth.  Some believe there is going to be a spiritual afterlife, but I cannot imagine what it would be like to live life as a SPIRIT.  Having awareness but no physical form.  The evidence is strong that there is no spiritual life but not conclusive.


Which brings me back to PURPOSE.

Why live just 80-100 or so years and then one's life is over.

What's the point of making tons of money when all you do is leave it behind to family or give it to charity?

Whatever one has achieved will be forgotten 5-10 years after their death.

Do you still think about Reagan, Nixon, or Kennedy?

How many dead celebrities do you think about?


So, if it is not about money or accomplishments, what is our PURPOSE?

  • To endure life's struggles
  • To give to those that don't have
  • To achieve global peace
  • To learn as much as we can
  • To enjoy and be thankful for what we have


At 76, I no longer want for anything.  I don't need a fancy car or house or expensive clothes.  I don't care if you like me or not.  I don't care if you don't approve of how I live.  I expect very little, but I am grateful for waking up each morning.


After I retired, 90% of my stress was gone.  The other 8-10% comes from tying to understand my wife and this new technology in which we all must live now.  For me the technology is frustrating and difficult to understand, while at the same time incredibly convenient.  I cannot imagine my life without a tablet and a cell phone.


I have split it up between 8-10% because I think at least 2% is me trying to deal with myself, my internal criticism and lack of motivation, compared to what it used to be like.


Still, none of this resolves my PURPOSE...

No comments:

Post a Comment