Friday, April 2

My Faith

I was raised in a Christian home and we attended the United Methodist Church close to our home almost every Sunday without fail and our attendance included both Sunday School and Sunday Church Service.  I was baptized by my parents at a very young age and don't remember anything about the procedure...  so, 20 years ago, I was baptized again and was fully aware of the procedure and since it was in a Baptist Church, I was fully emerged in a tank of water.

After leaving high school my faith followed me even though I did not attend Church very often for one reason or another.  Once I was married, my wife and I attended an Episcopal Church which is not as odd as it sounds because we received free counseling if we attended on Sundays.

During my second marriage, my wife and I attended a Baptist Church and because of the Pastor and his enlightened religious philosophy and understanding and teachings, I decided to get baptized for a second time...  it was important to me that I made the decision rather than have that decision made for me by my parents.

The Pastor that baptized me was released from his contract with the Church because of receiving numerous DUI traffic violations.  While I did not intentionally put him on a pedestal, I did hold him in a position above everyone else and was incredibly disappointed. 

I have read the BIBLE cover-to-cover, took notes and copied passages on a CD for future reference and while I do not think about my faith everyday of the week but my faith is so embedded in my mind that it automatically follows me around everyday and allows me to appreciate the beauty all around me that has been created by our Creator.

Science tells me that our Universe was not created by our Creator that is was created by a BIG BANG and accelerated expansion probably from the explosion of a BLACK HOLE...  but, science cannot explain where all the matter inside this BLACK HOLE came from...  that is to say, did this stuff just appear out of nowhere...  and, this is where my faith comes in because it explains what science cannot explain.

AND...  while I had no idea after leaving high school where I would end up in life, my life was actually predetermined for me and while I made choices, these choices were orchestrated in such a way that I ended up where I am today...  in other words, I was supposed to end up here regardless of what I did to take me in another direction.

ALSO...  all my skills and natural abilities were given to me as a gift from our Creator.  I did not give myself these gifts nor did my parents...  so, they had to come from somewhere...  I am where I am for a reason...  and my purpose in life may not be shared with me but it will be made clear to me when it is appropriate...  until then, I just live my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment