Thursday, November 26

My 73rd Thanksgiving

My first recollections of Thanksgiving was when I was a lad of about 7 or 8 years old and we would drive down to Winston-Salem, NC from our home in Alexandria, VA to celebrate the holiday with my father's father and all our relatives from both my mother's and father's side of the family who lived in that city as well.

I don't remember much but I do remember the smell of tobacco as we drove under the bridge connecting two tobacco plants as well as my grandfather's house that had a porch around all four walls and a large dining room where my grandfather cut the turkey in a white shirt and tie as he had just returned  home for lunch from the Drug Store he owned.

He was a skinny man with a withdrawn face and his speech was guttural and barely discernable when he gave the blessing and after the meal he returned to work and the children went outside to play in the yard.  I remember a family reunion inside a large building with 150 or so relatives who said how well they knew me and that they wished they could see more of me.

And, on Sunday we drove back home and I slept on a blanket in the back of our station wagon.

Other Thanksgivings at our home in Alexandria, VA are not remembered at all other than I know that they took place at a mahogany table with leaves that raised up on either side that would seat 8 people comfortably with two sitting on either side and 12 if we needed to but absolutely no more.  My father's grace was short and more understandable and he would always boil the meat off the turkey bones from which he would make soup...  a tradition (for some reason) that stayed with me.

No Thanksgivings during my first marriage are remembered other than I know that we seldom had them at home because we were always traveling to our parent's homes and sometimes the years were alternating and sometimes we had dinners with them both.

During my second marriage, Thanksgivings are much clearer as that now since both my parents are deceased we are always remaining at home...  My father died in 2001 and my mother died in 2015, the year that both my wife and I retired.

I still do not remember the specifics of any of these days other than a turkey is cooked and served with rice, gravy, dressing, and a vegetable or two and maybe a dessert but there is never a guarantee.  These days are spent with just the two of us...  no one else joins...  and, a blessing is never given before we eat our meal.

AND...  the problems with most traditions is that the traditions at some point-in-time will always fade away for one reason or another giving one pause to wonder why the traditions started at all.

AND...  while I do not remember what I was thinking last year, I am aware of my thoughts this year...  and, I am most grateful that my body is above ground and that all my cancers are under control, that my damaged heart is beating firm and soundly, and that the rest of my body seems to be holding steady other than the fact that I bruise a lot and quite easily.

I have lost 20 of the 40 pounds I gained while on steroids taken prior to my chemo infusions but am still not as active as I used to be 13 years ago when all of this started.

I feel blessed nonetheless that I have been given a strong body that has been able to withstand all that it has been through and blessed as well as thankful that I have not lost my faith but that it grows stronger and stronger each day that I continue to live.

It is sad though that in a few weeks perhaps months, I will not remember what I did or thought this day and that it will become just another memory that has faded away...  but was very much present and aware when it all happened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment