Saturday, June 6

Everyday: I learn something new...

Last week, I finished replacing the decking on our backyard deck that surrounds our above ground pool, at a cost of about $150...  the task as mention in a previous post took me a week whereas someone who knew what they were doing could have completed the task in a day.  This afternoon, I went to collect all the replaced wood to carry to the street for pick-up when I noticed some of the boards were turned over and looked almost brand new, only slightly weathered.  I went to the garage and got my sander and began sanding some of this old wood that I was planning to throw away and realized probably 80% of better was reusable.  I have a storage area under the deck so I put the wood down there for future use.

I realized then and there that in the future instead of removing the old decking and replacing it with new decking, I am going to see if I just cannot flip it over and screw it back down and see if it will last another few years.  The original decking lasted over 10 years on one side, so it might just last another 10 years on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment