Wednesday, July 3

American Manufacturing

 

I purchased a Dell Vostro 7620 from Dell online in January of 2024 (five months ago) and already the problems I have encountered have resulted in two home visits by a Dell Technician.


The first time was to replace the keyboard and the second time was to replace the top of the laptop case holding the screen.  The hinge broke off from the bottom.

 

I have also been having a reoccurring problem with the mouse freezing up, causing me to make at least two calls so far for technical support.  Each call has lasted over two hours, and the problem still persists.


My last technician said I probably needed to reinstall the operating system that would involve backing up all my data on an external hard drive first, but that they could not help with that other that try and walk me through it.


So far, I would suspect that Dell has invested about half of the profit they made from the sell, trying to fix this problem.  No doubt, I will be calling them again for another problem and no doubt a technician will come out to the house, further decreasing their profit margins.


It would be much simpler and less expensive for Dell to replace this laptop with a new one.  However, they have a different mindset which, in my opinion, does little to serve the customer and enhance REPEAT BUSINESS.


A bigger problem here, as I see it, is the lack of quality with American Manufacturing.  When I was in graduate school for business, I remember my marketing professor sharing with us the concept of built in obsolescence.  The idea was to build products intentionally that would only last 3-5 years to create a guaranteed pool of repeat business.


While my problems with Dell may be a result of this built in obsolescence, it seems more like labor on the manufacturing floor are not performing their jobs correctly.


Everywhere you turn, I see a Dell computer in a variety of different office spaces from the medical profession to education to public administration to private use.  My thoughts are now on are these people using Dell having the same problems that I am having???


MAKES YOU WONDER.

No comments:

Post a Comment