Saturday, June 17

First & Second Amendments

These two amendments to the US Constitution have been the source of much debate and controversy, especially the second amendment.  


While I am not a constitutional scholar, it is my opinion that the second amendment was merely a temporary measure until the new government could establish a police force and a military to provide protection to its residents.  Consequently, there is absolutely, no reason for Americans to own firearms unless one is a collector or a hunter.


However, the first amendment is another story altogether.  It addresses religious freedoms as well as freedom of the press (both written and verbal).  


I really don't give a shit about religious freedom especially since I am going to believe a certain way whether the government likes it or not.  I don't need to publicly display my religious beliefs in order for me to believe like I do.  In fact, I believe one's religious beliefs should be private, not public.  It is none of your damn business what I may or may not believe.


Freedom of the press on the other hand, is a different story completely and it should be a big deal to everyone.  If we cannot voice our opinions verbally or on paper or in the media, then we are no longer a democracy.  If we try to censor all those views that disagree with us, then we are no longer a democracy.


You should be allowed to voice your opinion about the government and not be punished for it by the government, by your employer, or by your neighbor.


The first amendment is one of the few things that makes us different from anywhere else in the world.  People who don't have the first amendment are jealous of us as they should be.


Once that freedom is gone, it never comes back...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment