Wednesday, June 14

Saving Money

When I was lad growing up, I earned money by babysitting, mowing lawns, and selling vegetables that I grew in the back yard.  My parents encouraged this behavior only if I agreed to save half of whatever I earned.  The other half I could spend as I wanted.


I mowed 2-3 lawns a day in the summer of neighbors in our community and earned about $2/lawn after buying gasoline.  That worked out to about $40/week or $20 after half was saved.  That worked out to about $300 that I could spend each summer that I did this.


With my money, I purchased a set of weights, a TV, and a motorbike that I purchased in Italy on our way to Egypt.


All the money that was mine to spend, I kept with me in an envelope, but I do not remember ever being given the money I saved.  It would have been less than $1,000.


The point here is that I was TAUGHT TO SAVE MONEY...


Currently, my wife and I are saving $30,000/year from our retirement incomes that also includes a Trust Fund that will be depleted of money in 5 years or less.  From that point on, we will take money out of savings.  I would not be able to live like I do unless I had saved money.


During my 45 year career, I very seldom ate lunch at a restaurant.  I always brought my lunch.  I never purchased brand new cars, always purchased year old leased cars and saved thousands.  When on vacation, we would eat out once or twice, the rest of the time, we cooked our meals.  I never wasted money on lots of clothes, shoes, jackets, sweaters, or on the latest fashion.


At the age of 40, I stopped spending money on cigarettes and alcohol and by the age of 50, I was DEBT FREE...


I only purchased what I absolutely needed and did not care what the neighbors had and was never motivated by GREED.  I have enjoyed myself and lived an above average lifestyle all my life which for me and my wife, was all we ever wanted or needed.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment