Friday, June 30

The End of the Month of June

 This is the last day of the month of July.  Only 4 months out of the year have only 30 days: September, April, June, and November.  This does not make June any more special than the other months...  but, what's special about June is that it begins the summer, just as August ends the summer...  at least it did when I was a child.


June 30, 2023 has another significance for me and my wife and that is, this is the day that our house of 23 years is going up for sale.  It has been a good home and a home that I will be sad to leave but the wisdom of age is telling us that we are too old for this house and the stairs that we have to go up and down.

For the last 20 years, June has also been the month we go on vacation, usually spending a week down at Myrtle Beach...  although, at the very beginning of our life together, my wife and I used to drive to the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  It was a 12 hour drive and compared to Myrtle Beach is desolate with vacationers.  We stopped going to the Outer Banks because we got caught in a RIP TIDE and no telling what might have happened if there had not been someone on a float who brought us both back to waist deep water.

June used to be the month where I would start mowing the lawn but for the last decade or more, I have had to start mowing in May.  We used a push mower until we realized we had saved enough money to buy a riding lawn mower.  Our first riding mower was cheap, did not last many years, but got the job done.  Then we purchased a Deere.

June, as a boy would be the month that my mother would finally buy me tennis shoes...  that had to last me the entire summer.  I remember getting tennis shoes and a pair of Levis jeans that I would put on and go outside and get the water hose and complete saturate them with water.  For the rest of the day, I would wear those jeans while they dried.  Once dried they fit my body perfectly.

June has a lot of memories for me, and I am sure that I will see another 15-20 of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment