Wednesday, June 28

I Enjoy Cooking - Especially Soups

When my wife and I retired in 2015, she told me that she was no longer going to cook except for maybe a meal at Thanksgiving and a meal at Christmas.  I was fine with that and started cooking all my food.


I had never really cooked anything except pancakes, waffles, and hamburgers and hotdogs on the grill.  So, it was a new experience for me that I enjoyed as long as I did not have to follow a recipe and as long as I was willing to eat everything I cooked, no matter how bad.


So far, I have not been able to eat only one dish that I made and cannot remember what they was other than it tasted horrible.


When I cook, I make large amounts so that I will have a meal for 5 days or more.  Unless it is really good, 3 days is as long as I want to go with that same meal, so I freeze the last two days to eat later.  I am trying to reduce the amount I make to only 2-3 servings.


While I have cooked almost everything, for some reason I really like soups.  And not those soups that are watery but soups that are thick like chowders, potato soup and/or split pea soup.


I always start with onions, bell peppers, garlic, celery, and mushrooms that I cook in a couple tablespoons of olive oil.  After they have cooked to the point of almost burning, I pour in 1 cup of water or broth.  I let that cook for about 10 minutes on a high temperature.  To that mixture, I might add diced potatoes, Limas, corn or squash/zucchini.


This will slow cook for 3-4 hours until the soupy consistency is thick.


Sometimes, I will cook a variety of vegetables until they are soft (including potatoes) and then blend them up with a submersible blender.  At this point any kind of meat can be added:  chicken, hamburger, ground turkey, beef, hot dogs, etc.


Most every soup I make, I will either add rice, noodles, or potatoes.  Long grain rice, to me, is the best and I use Basmati.

No comments:

Post a Comment