Monday, June 26

On Being Wealthy

 Every once in a while, just before I fall asleep at night, I put myself into a dream like state of fantasy and imagine something happening that had an end result of me becoming wealthy.

One of those fantasies would involve me inheriting not just a fortune of wealth, but private jets, a luxury yacht, and homes in various locations throughout Europe.

Another one of these fantasies would involve me selling the novels I am writing or have written and not necessarily going on book tours and becoming well known, but just receiving more money than I really need. 

None of my dream like fantasies ever are completed as I fall asleep before that happens.  Sometimes, I dwell on too many details as to how something will unfold and falling asleep is delayed.

When I awake in the morning and think about these fantasies, I remind myself that none of them will ever come true and that they are just tools to get me to fall asleep.

While these fantasies are fun to imagine, I do not see myself as the kind of person who should become wealthy.  That may seem like an odd statement but wealthy people start out being greedy.  They then sacrifice everything around them in order to achieve their wealth goals.

Wealthy people need an understanding spouse and they need to have a personality that has little to no compassion for one's fellow man, as those kinds of weaknesses would only stand in the way of what they want to achieve.

I do not have that kind of personality.

Another drawback of mine is that I do not necessarily enjoy the wealthy lifestyle.  I don't have to fly first class.  What I try to do is get a seat at an exit which has plenty of legroom.  I don't drink alcohol, so first class seating only offers me coffee or a soft drink.

I don't like living in a big house with numerous room that are never visited unless there are guest...  And while it is nice to have a cook, I would rather cook myself.  However, the cleaning done by someone else would be acceptable.

I enjoy yard work as it keeps me from being lazy and I don't like playing golf or tennis for my exercise.

An expensive car that can go like a bat out of hell is a waste because you cannot really drive like that without getting a speeding ticket.  After numerous tickets, one loses one's license.

The only thing I would enjoy doing is giving my money away to a variety of charities.



No comments:

Post a Comment