Thursday, April 30

Last Day of the Month

FAST...   FASTER...   FASTEST...  is how time flows these days for me and the rest of the elderly and it will for you too in time as time is continual and the mind cannot continue to slow it down as it did when we were all young...   younger...  youngest...

I remember how slow Christmas Eve past by during those early years and the same held true for birthdays and going on vacations and even when May 1st arrived and my mother bought me a NEW PAIR OF TENNIS SHOES that I would wear for the entire summer even if they began to wear out before it was time to go back to school...  there was only one pair to last the entire summer and for an active young person such as myself, those tennis shoes would always start wearing out for I returned to school...   but, it was a badge of something for me because the worse my shoes began to wear, the better I felt about myself.  My mother would buy the cheapest pair of high tops but I would never lace them up all the way because I liked the open tops.

Later in life, that same badge of something I wore when it pertained to my LEVIS and no other brand would do...  I wore them until they simply could not be worn or I had outgrown them...  it did not matter how many holes, tears, or patches they had.

TOMORROW, is May 1, 2020...  but, I have no plans to buy a pair of tennis shoes nor do I have any plans to buy or wear any LEVIS...  time has forever pushed me out of those categories...  nowadays, I wear wool slipper-like shoes and stretch pants for comfort.  I have a pair of jeans (not LEVIS) but I would have to lose about 10 pounds to wear them but because of their strong material, they are no longer comfortable when I drive or sit.

I also remember that May 1st was MAYPOLE DAY in Elementary School...  however, all I remember is the girls holding crepe paper tied to the top of a pole, going in one direction weaving in and out of the girls holding different colored crepe paper going in another direction until the pole was covered in all sorts of colors of crepe paper.

These memories are over 62 years old and while they indicate the passage of time, they do not accurately records the behaviors and enjoyment of that period of time for me, assuming that there was enjoyment which I am sure there was since every child, at some point-in-time experiences bitter sweet enjoyment.

All of us cannot escape the passage of time and for some of us, it happens quicker than for others for a variety of reasons but it always happens to everyone and there is a moment of regret, however shallow, that we will one day not remember at all...

No comments:

Post a Comment