Friday, April 17

Cairo American College

From 1962 through 1966 I attended Cairo American College, in Maadi, Cairo, Egypt because my
father worked for the American Embassy.  The school housed grades 1-12 and those who attended were the children of Diplomats stationed at their respective Embassies in Cairo, Egypt.  My graduating class totaled 28 with about 12-15 different nationalities.  I remember that the Valedictorian of our Senior Class was a Hungarian Communist.


During those years 1962-1966, it was possible to climb up the pyramids which I understand is no longer possible.  My fellow classmates and I climbed to the top of one of the pyramids, carrying a goat-skin water bag full of wine that we drank once we got to the top.  It was also possible and very easy to buy little blocks of hash from street vendors but I suppose that is no longer possible either.

CAC had no cafeteria so all students had to bring their lunch and sit at picnic table under a covering to protect us from the sun.  While there were trees and a little vegetation, most of the area inside the walls of the school was compacted sand.  The buildings were made of substance that reminds me of sandstone or a plaster/clay like material.  The buildings had tall ceilings with fans and openings covered with wooden shutters with no glass or screens.  I guess the idea was that heat rises and it would remain cool where one was seated, but that was never the case.

Our sports teams basically consisted of basketball and field and track and volleyball.

No comments:

Post a Comment