Friday, January 8

Globally Perceived American Stereotypes

Stereotypes of American people (here meaning citizens of the United States) can today be found in virtually all cultures.  They often manifest in America's own television and in the media's portrayal of the United States as seen in other countries, but can also be spread by literature, art, and public opinion.  Not all of the listed stereotypes are equally popular, nor are they all restricted towards Americans; and although most can be considered negative, a few actually assign neutral or even positive or admiring qualities to the stereotypical US citizen. Many of the ethnic stereotypes collide with otherwise unrelated political anti-Americanism.  SOURCE:  Wikipedia

POSITIVE STEREOTYPES OF AMERICANS
  • Generous
  • Optimistic
  • Hardworking

NEGATIVE STEREOTYPES OF AMERICANS
  1. Obsession with guns
  2. Materialistic
  3. Over Consumption
  4. Extreme Capitalism
  5. Lack of cultural awareness
  6. Racists (on both sides)
  7. Environmentally Ignorant
  8. Arrogant
  9. Nationalistic
  10. Military Zeal
  11. Workaholic Culture

COMMENT:  If someone were to ask me whether or not I felt Americans were concerned as to how they were being perceived by the rest of the world...   I would have to reply by saying "I believe that 98% of all AMERICANS don't really give a shit what the rest of the world thinks of them...  and that Americans generally perceive the rest of the world thinks what they do because they are JEALOUS and ENVIOUS..."

As a retired American Worker (45 years) who is also a Vietnam Veteran and who is educated with a BA and an MBA and who spent most of his career in and around EDUCATION both public and private, I would have to say that I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE with the world's opinion of Americans...  and, while it saddens me to see this happening, it is the direct result of our inability or lack of desire to control our own GREED.

When I turned 40 years of age, I realized how evil the control of greed was on people and spent the rest of my career and lifetime so far making sure that I was not infected with the disease of GREED.

I don't think that I have missed too much of anything actually...  even being careful spending and buying only that which one needs.

COVID has helped us reduce our greed but I fear that once we have that under control, greed will skyrocket as people will again want what they perceive they have missed out on...

No comments:

Post a Comment