Sunday, May 17

My Spiritual Affiliations

A Sunday Morning Reflection
When I had experienced my first 18 months of life outside my mother's womb, my parents took me (unwillingly or basically without my knowledge and.or permission) to the United Methodist Church in Alexandria, Virginia to be baptized as a Christian.  However, before that event, my parents had made the decision (again without my permission) to have me circumcised upon birth, their first act of forcing me to become a Christian.

Now...  don't get me wrong, I am glad that I am and was raised a Christian, but the fact remains that it was all done without my permission...  actually, my birth and conception took place without my permission as well... 

I logically understand why I was baptized but I do not logically understand why I was born and given life...
WHY ME?
WHY THESE PARENTS?
WHY THIS LOCATION?

When I was about 50 years old (give or take as I recall) I decided to have myself baptized again and the minister I chose for this activity was someone I respected and with whom I had had numerous religious and spiritual conversations and he understood and respected my need to question.  However, this time and not because of any coincidence, this minister was of the Southern Baptist Belief...  a belief that I did not totally accept even though I respected him.  It was a full immersion baptism whereas my first was a sprinkling of HOLY WATER on the head.

I never understood how that water was made HOLY but at the time it was not that important to me...

SO...  am I a Methodist, a United Methodist, or a Baptist, or a Southern Baptist???

No comments:

Post a Comment