Friday, May 29

My Old Circular Saw

Friday morning started off muggy, foggy, and overcast and it just looked and felt like it was going to rain, but it didn't and about 1:00 pm, my wife and I realized that the sun would probably be out in a cloudless sky for the rest of the day.  We went outside to work and our hunch paid off.

I piddled around measuring, designing, and cutting wood for a two step stool with hand rails to make it easier for me to get in and out of the hot tub since these last few times, I have noticed me grunting more than usual.  Arriving at a good stopping point, I turned my attention to finishing the top caps on the deck rails, as I had 5 more to go...  and, not wanting to end up with a sore lower back again, I decided to cut and screw in 3 and finish the last two tomorrow.

As I was putting my tools back inside the storage shed, I had the realization that my circular saw was fairly old and decided to take a minute to figure it out.  I left military service in 1972 and was required to serve in the RESERVES for another 3 years...  one night a week from 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm and was paid $100 a month.  In the summer, I was required to spend two weeks on ACTIVE DUTY and do not remember how much I was paid for those 2 weeks.

I used my $100 each month to buy hand tools and other devices that I thought I might need sometime down-the-road rather than saving the money or taking the wife out to dinner.  Three tools in particular I remember:  an electric drill, an electric jig saw, and an electric circular.  Several years ago, the drill was losing oil so I discarded it in the trash and I lost sight of my jig saw but my circular saw is still around.

STILL AROUND CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?

THE DAMN THING IS SOMEWHERE BETWEEN 45 AND 50 YEARS OLD...

It's a CRAFTSMAN in case you are wondering...

I doubt tools made today will last 50 years...  who's fault is this?

No comments:

Post a Comment