Tuesday, February 28

How to Think - VERSUS - What to Think

The greatest gift that I received from my 18 years of education was the ability of HOW TO THINK...

That may seem like a silly statement because people think all the time.  

  • Do I need to eat?
  • Do I need to sleep?
  • Do I need to work?
  • Should I take a shit now or later?
  • How much alcohol should I drink tonight?

Of course there are more serious decisions that these that most of us have to make but you get the point...  we think about what to do all the time...

But, what happens when it comes time to make the serious decisions like IN WHAT DO I REALLY BELIEVE?

Do I believe then what people tell me to believe or tell me what to think about what I believe...  or, do I make those decisions alone.

I am reminded of what a relative once said to me...  Baptist teach people what to think while Methodists teach people how to think.

I also remember teaching college classes to college students who obviously had graduated from high school...  and I gave them minimal instructions about a project I wanted them to work on as a team.  The project was expanding the current campus into a nearby city 50 miles away.

These college students who were actually getting ready to graduate so that had almost completed 16 years of education, did not know where to begin because I gave them no specifics.  They bitched, pissed, and moaned not knowing what I wanted...  If they did not know what I wanted, then they could be guaranteed of an "A".   If I told them exactly what I wanted, then they would give me that and expect an "A".

I told them their potential employers were not going to give them specifics either and would be expecting them to figure all that out on their own because they were college graduates...

I had forced them to think rather than telling them what to think...  

NO ONE HAD TAUGHT THEM HOW TO THINK ON THEIR OWN...

I would not have hired any of these students to work at my company after seeing them in this class...

As a side note...  The Democrats are telling us what to think rather than teaching us how to think...

No comments:

Post a Comment