Monday, February 27

At 75 Years of Age, What Have I Learned?

 What an interesting question...  no doubt, my answer will vary from one day to the next, based upon my attitude, frame of mind, and mental outlook, all of which may seem similar but are mutually exclusive...


My first thought is that I have forgotten more than I remember which is probably not a good thing to admit but it is true.  A lot of knowledge I learned that I never used...  and, this goes back to high school where the courses were designed specifically for those students who wanted to go to college but not for those students who just wanted to get a job or learn a trade.


College was similar, especially my first two years where I have to take all these general education courses like history, science, math, religion, art, the humanities, etc.  I don't recall any time during my career where I used any of this information...


And, sadly enough, this also includes a majority of the course I took in grad school.  We had to pass 60 hours of classes whereas today that requirement for the same degree is 30 hours...


So, the main thing here that I learned is that I did not need to learn all that I needed to learn in order to have a 45+ year career...   ALTHOUGH, if I did not learn what I did not need to learn, I would not have had the career that I had...


And, while that seems somewhat upside down to me and perhaps to you, it is the way our education system is currently designed...

No comments:

Post a Comment