Monday, December 19

Alone for the Holidays

I was watching a television commercial the other day and while I cannot remember what the commercial was about, I remember one of the people being interviewed said that it was horrible being alone for the holidays.


The holidays she was talking about were the Christmas Holidays.


The more I thought about that commercial and what the person said, the more it bothered me but I could not figure out why...


Then it dawned on me.


During my first year in college, my parents and my brother were living in Holland and my sister was also in college and not really close by.  Some of my cousins were about 2 hours away but I did not know them very well.


I did not have a car, so I was not mobile and did not have the money to rent a car.


The college that I attended was a suitcase college, as everyone went home for the weekend...  at least 70-80% of the students, I would suspect.


So, every weekend, I was alone from Friday at noon until Sunday evening.


Instead of being alone on the holidays, I was alone every weekend which was the same to me as being a holiday...  from the standpoing that ALONE IS ALONE...   and, it does not take a special holiday to feel the sensation of being alone.


I was with family over the Christmas holiday, but all the rest of them I was alone:  Thanksgiving, Easter, Spring Break, Valentines Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Presidents Day, Veterans Day.


Being alone is not horrible just because it is Christmas...  Being alone is no fun anytime of the year.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment