Wednesday, August 10

Learning Never Stops

 

I attended college from 1966 until 1968 and then again from 1972 to 1974 and then again from 1980 to 1981...

From 1969 to 1971, I was employed by the US Navy because I did not think college was that important...

And, I still have those doubts about attending college and you will have a productive life and earn more money are simply NOT ALWAYS TRUE...

BUT WHAT IS TRUE...  is the fact that one never stops learning or one should never stop learning.   I say it this way because many people after leaving whatever school they attended do not want to learn anymore...

About college these days and I have been a college instructor full time for 3 years and part-time for over 12 years...   is that today's student does not want to retain the knowledge...  while most of the knowledge that high schools and colleges teach is pointless, the student should still practice RETENTION.

My transcripts (and GRADES) were never used to hire me during the 45 years that I worked even those colleges and universities that hired me to teach.

Learning on the other hand is an on-going lifelong process that should never stop.  At 74 years old, I still want to learn...  forget the fact that it is exercise for my brain...  but, I really enjoy learning...  and I am learning shit that I will never use or never get quizzed about.

Right now, I am learning about:

  • Theoretical Physics
  • String Theory
  • Cosmology
  • Astrology
  • History
  • Archaeology
  • Comparative Religions
  • The Vikings
  • Polical Science
  • Cooking
Can you imagine that if you spent your entire life learning one item a day, let's say how smart you would be if you were to die at age 80?  You would know 22,995 pieces of information and 26,645 if you lived 10 years more to the age of 90.
What would it mean to know that much knowledge?
Probably not a damn thing...  except for personal satisfaction.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment