Friday, August 12

Going on Vacation

 

I have gone through 4 phases of going on vacation...

Before graduating from high school, our family vacations lasted anywhere from 2 weeks to four weeks depending on where my dad was doing his naval reserve obligation of 2 weeks of active duty.  If his training was somewhere near where the rest of the family could vacation, we would stay there for 4 weeks.


The next phase took place during my first marriage and since neither one of us earned that much of an income, our vacations were spent at home doing chores around the house.  Interestingly, we did not feel that we were missing anything.  We would drive down to the Outer Banks every once in a while and spend the week at my parent's beach house for free.


The next phase took place during my second marriage. We traveled to all sorts of places like Vegas, New Orleans, NYC, Atlanta, Ft. Lauderdale, the Gulf Coast, Canada, Vancouver, Alaska, Hawaii, Mexico, and Europe.  We also went on 12 cruises that took us to Alaska, Hawaii, the Mediterranean, and all over the Caribbean...  But, no matter where we went, we always made time to spend a couple of weeks at Myrtle Beach.


The last phase (that I currently know about) is currently taking place during my second marriage and it seems that we have burned ourselves out with vacations and now the only place that we want to go is Myrtle Beach and even then, we are not all that keen on going so it is more or less just a change of scenery for us.


We will be in Myrtle Beach this year in September as our June visit was postponed due to my back surgery.  We have an ocean-facing condo that has a living room with a balcony, a kitchen and eating area, a bathroom, and a back bedroom with a door so that I can go to bed early and not be disturbed and my wife can sleep in a little in the morning and not be disturbed.


What do we do differently down at Myrtle Beach that we do not do at home, besides sitting under an umbrella watching the Atlantic Ocean?  Not much at all other than in the evening, we get "cleaned up" as the saying goes, and venture out for dinner.  And, while we can certainly do this at home, we typically don't do it every night.


While 6 hours in the car does not seem like a lot of time, it will be this time because of my back surgery and I have been mildly ordered by my Orthopedic Surgeon to stop every two hours so that I can get out and walk for 5-10 minutes.  We normally stop once for gasoline, so the inconvenience which is not really an inconvenience is only stopping a second time since the third time to stop will be at our hotel.


No comments:

Post a Comment