Wednesday, December 2

Only White People Can End Racism -- Blacks Should Not Be Held Accountable for Racism


This is what white people can do to end racism

Study what your forefathers did, then do the opposite
SOURCE: THEUNDEFEATED.COM
AUTHOR:  Brando Simeo Starkey

Four hundred years later, America’s congenital demon still bedevils it. A nation built for white people, though reliant upon Black sweat, remains unable to exorcise the paradoxical evil inherent in its birth. Time after time, this country reproduces its sins rather than atone for them. Yet, with protesters capturing the streets amid a global pandemic and coercing public opinion to swing in their favor, one hopes the day of reckoning has finally come.

The video-captured killing of George Floyd by Minneapolis police officers jolted not just America, but the world. Black Lives Matter, a movement conceived in the blood of unarmed Black men, convinced the masses of its central thesis — America devalues Black life. Change of some sort appears imminent.

But to really complete the unfinished business of Reconstruction and the civil rights movement, white people must fight it out with each other over what being a respectable white person means. The victors need to allow only the anti-racist to be considered worthy of inclusion in the group. White folk must create an environment that compels other white folk to learn lest they incur the social wrath that accompanies not behaving like a respectable white person.

Many white folk continue to pose the question: “What can I do?” 

The answer is simple. Study what your forefathers did. Then do the opposite.

MY RESPONSE...
While I am sure that the above author is serious and at the risk of my comment being considered sarcastic, if I did the opposite of what my forefathers did, then I would have:
1.  Not written the Declaration of Independence
2.  Not written the US Constitution or the Bill of Rights
3.  Not freed the slaves
4.  Not fought the Civil War
5.  Not kept the Southern States from wanting to leave the Union 

Now, I am sure that the above author would say that my response should have been not had slaves at all...  but, it was not my forefathers that brought slaves to these shores because my forefathers were not my forefathers until they won the war of Independence from Great Britain...  Before that they were just a bunch of immigrants looking for a new place to live.

Thomas Jefferson was, not only a President, but he was extremely intelligent and created all sorts of inventions that benefitted the human race...  should I just forget all of that because he owned slaves?  And, what about the University of Virginia and the Serpentine Wall that is so famous...  should I just forget those as well?

Of course, there is Abraham Lincoln who was also our President and freed the slaves, and while he did not believe in owning slaves, he did not stop his wife from owning them...   so, to me, he seems a little hypocritical...

THEREFORE...
I will not nor will I EVER do the opposite of what my forefathers did just because they might have own slaves in my family...  nor will I do the opposite of what our other forefathers did because in spite of SLAVERY they were all brilliant men...  who laid the foundation for the USA to become the greatest country in WORLD HISTORY...  at least so far...

No comments:

Post a Comment