Thursday, October 22

Living in the PRESENT

We are the sum total of our memories or so the experts have told me...  and, these memories start from an early age and in come cases can recall, perhaps not so vividly, the moment of birth along with other moments of our childhood, adolescence, early adulthood, middle age, and our older retired life, if we are the kind of person who feels the need to retire from work.

However, in my case, I have no such memories...

  • I remember not my early childhood or adolescence
  • I have vague memories of my deceased parents
  • I remember only bits and pieces of high school and college
  • I remember almost nothing of my time in the military
  • I remember fragments of my working career

One would think, especially in my case, that this is the reason why we take photos with cameras or with our phones so that we will have many memories from which to recall our adventures both positive and negative and all those that we might classify as neutral...  but there are no photos in my phone from which to draw...

NOW...  while this may seem an unpleasant revelation to some, for me it is exactly what was intended to be all along...   intended, to force me into the PRESENT, and not dwell upon the past because that is exactly what the past is...  GONE FOREVER...  perhaps, mistakes can be repeated and even parts of the past...  but, what's done is done...

Where did a moment ago go?
I cannot look back upon it to relieve it again...
I can delete the words I just typed
but I cannot relive the moment those words were first typed...

We are CREATURES OF THE PRESENT and that is all that we have and the only concept on which we can count...  not even the future can predict what we will do until we get there and it is done or not done.




No comments:

Post a Comment