Monday, October 5

Boy Scouts of America BSA

They Knew...

The BSA knew all along about the abuse that was happening within its ranks. They even had a secret list known as the “Perversion Files” or “P Files” that included names of sex predators going all the way back to the early 1900’s. Tragically, the BSA did everything in its power to conceal these documents, allowing the abuses to go on. Instead of rooting out abusers, the BSA, like The Catholic Church, systematically protected pedophiles by allowing them to move from troop to troop.

When I lived in Alexandria, VA  until 1962/1963, prior to my leaving I was a Boy Scout, receiving my Eagle Scout and God and Country Awards that were later presented to me by the US Ambassador in Cairo, Egypt.  If I was abused, I don't recall and one would think that if there was abuse, one would never forget...  but abuse is not always physical...  and, there is probably a good possibility that one of those leaders during a camping trip in the Appalachian Mountains could have showed me photos and could have had conversations with me that I really don't remember because nothing physical happened...  and my leader was just more apprehensive about following through with something physical...

NONETHELESS...  it is disgusting what was happening to boys my age by leaders we grew up trusting to make us better people through Scouting.  And, I have always enjoyed my camping experiences...  

No comments:

Post a Comment