Friday, July 22

Our Above Ground Pool

The circumference of my above-ground pool is such that I must complete 75 revolutions in order to walk a mile...  now obviously, there is a slight difference between walking on the inside perimeter of the pool or walking on the outside...  albeit inches...  so, 40 inside laps should compensate for that discrepancy.


Ordinarily, I would not care about any of this, but I have found that walking in the water is much better on my back than walking on the asphalt neighborhood streets.  Plus the pool floor is relatively level whereas the neighborhood streets incline and decline.


Walking on the neighborhood streets requires a walking stick whereas walking in the water requires no assistance at all.


Our pool water has been 84/85 degrees because of all the warm and humid weather but last night a storm blew through dumping an inch or more of water, bringing down the temperature of the water by 4 degrees.  Colder water affects me more than when I was younger, so it took me a while to lower myself into the pool, but once I was there, the water temp did not bother me at all.


As one moves around the pool, the movement of water moves in the same direction that one is walking...  so, if one wants to strengthen the leg muscles, then all one has to do is start walking in the other direction...  there is a slight burn in the legs as the muscles strain against the water.


One can also move one's arms back and forth through the water, to strengthen the shoulder muscles...  also good when one reverses direction as well.


Sometimes, I exaggerate my steps reaching my leg out as far as it can reach as I take each new step, hoping that the action allow muscles to stretch out in different directions...  I have no idea if this helps or not but I do it anyway.


My wife holds onto the sides of the pool and lets her body float out being her, then moves her feet up and down as if she is swimming to strengthen her thighs and shoulders.


Our above-ground pool is not just something that we use for recreation or to cool off but we use it quite extensively to exercise, especially as we both get older.


Installing an above-ground pool is a lot cheaper than putting in a conventional below-ground pool.  And, if you take care of the pool, it will last a long time.  Our pool is over 12 years old and we have never replaced the liner.  We have repaired the pump a couple of times.  We replace our pool cover every 2 years as a new cover is cheaper than buying all the chemicals one needs to balance it again if the cover leaks and dirt seeps inside.


You don't have to spend a lot of money to enjoy yourself...

No comments:

Post a Comment