Friday, March 24

Taking Care of Business


 In 1987, at the age of 40, I quit smoking cigarettes, consciously decreased my intake of alcohol, sugars, fried foods, and red meat.  I also consciously and with determination began an exercise program that began with running  3-5 miles a week that abruptly changed into walking those same miles because my knees could not tolerate the asphalt on which I was running.


THIRTY-FIVE years later, at the age of 75, I am still following the program I started in 1987.  I really enjoy eating a cheeseburger, and a few slices of a meat lover's pizza and do so about 2-3 times a year.   I probably eat a steak once a year and have not even had a glass of wine since 2015 or about 7 years ago.


BTW, my total cholesterol count (both bad and good) is 84...

My Cardiologist loves that level and wants me to keep it up...


I also have made a determined effort to eat less than 2,000 calories each day with the focus on staying between 1,500 to 1,800...  it is not all that easy but very manageable...  My eating habits increase when I do not keep myself busy or when I am watching a movie or a series.  Knowing that weakness, I try to snack as healthy as possible or fill my belly up with 8 ounces of coffee and french vanilla mix.  I sip slowly to extend the consumption.


My height is 6'1" and my weight is 220 which is down from 250 and I would like to get to 200 but these last 20 pounds are not that easy...  at least for me.


My main diet revolves around chicken, turkey, salmon, cod, tuna, white rice, and all sorts of veges that are mainly beans, peas, limas, broccoli, onions, green onion, mushrooms, leeks, bell peppers, celery, garlic, Pita bread, and English Muffins.  My meats are cooked in an air fryer, or in a soup along with rice.


If the contents of my cooking exceed 3 meals, then the overage is frozen to be eaten later.


One of the best ways to loose weight is not through exercise but by reducing the amount of food that is eaten at each meal.  Some experts believe that 5 small meals should be eaten each day instead of 3.  I eat 3 meals and try to keep my portions small.  Perhaps, 2 snacks a day.


Do I miss smoking cigarettes?       NO

Do I miss not drinking alcohol?     NO

Both of these vices cost lots of money...  and, while many people use them as a way of reducing stress, there are other ways to reduce stress that are HEALTHY.


My personal opinion is that SMOKING and ALCOHOL are CRUTCHES rather than relying on yourself and your own internal controls to enjoy life and reduce stress.  Exercise is a good stress reducer, but do you walk or exercise inside a gym or is it done outside, where you can expose yourself to the beauty of nature and fresh air...


Of course, if you live inside a city, there is very little fresh air...  unlike the fresh air found out in the countryside.

No comments:

Post a Comment