Wednesday, February 10

Education

While I did not care too much for additional education after high school and avoided it by enlisting into the military...  it was actually the military that quickly convinced me that getting more education was important...  otherwise, I would more than likely continue to live like I was currently living...  and, I just did not want to be treated like that anymore.

Consequently, I earned not only a BA degree but an MBA as well...  and while my grades were not ever below a "B", I did not make STRAIGHT "A's" as many students do today.

Bear in mind, that I think grades are important but making straight "A's" because one memorized for the test and retained very little knowledge is, in my opinion, rather STUPID.

Let me explain...

I worked for 45 years and worked for about 10 employers.  My career for the most part, revolved in and around EDUCATION...  and, on several occasions I was actually HIRED TO TEACH...   

BUT...
not once did any of my employers ever make the decision to hire me based upon my GRADES.  In fact, my transcript was only requested after I was hired...  and that was done solely for accreditation purposes.  

AND...
during my 45 year career, I went through several accreditation processes with SACS and ACICS and NEVER did those auditors look at GRADES to see what kind of intelligence was being hired.  All they wanted to see was that there was a degree/transcript on file.

Employers don't give a rat's ass about grades.  Employers want an employee who can perform and achieve appropriate outcomes and goals.  Grades are meaningless.  IN FACT, I have seen a straight "A" student fired and a "C" student kept because the former COULD NOT PERFORM.


No comments:

Post a Comment