Thursday, September 21

Opdivo Time Again

Hard to believe that we are approaching the end of September and soon it will be October.  Tomorrow, I go to Knoxville for my 75th OPD  IVO infusion...  it will be an interesting infusion for me because I am 75 years of age. 

Next month, it will obviously be my 76th infusion and in the month of October I will turn 76.  Fortunately, I will not age as fast as my infusions.  lol

At the end of 2023, I will be completing my 15th year of treatments for non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and my 10th year of treatments for metastasized Melanoma.

My OPDIVO treatments are for the Melanoma which according to the most recent PET scan show no activity and no growth.

They say LUCK FAVORS THE PREPARED...  I am not sure if I believe that or not because I consider myself very lucky to say the least.  My Oncologist is no more prepared than any other Oncologist and there have been many people who have died just having one of my cancers.

On Friday, I will have an infusion of IVIG which is basically synthesized plasma and gamma globulin from a horde on donors.  This infusion is supposed to boost my immune system.

Because of all these treatments I have had and continue to have my white blood count is low...  hence low immunity.  My red blood count is low...  hence anemia.  My platelets are low...  hence my blood does not clot quickly.

My treatments also create fatigue and the IVIG is supposed to help improve that as well.  It will not eliminate the fatigue, but it will reduce it some.

I have been getting monthly IVIG treatments for about 4-5 years and while this has been an ongoing process, I seem to be feeling less fatigued than before.  I hope that is not wishful thinking or just in my imagination.

So, tomorrow, I go to Knoxville and on Friday I go up to Morristown which is about 15-20 minutes from the house as opposed to 40-45 minutes to Knoxville.  Neither distance is bad...  however, the parking is worse in Knoxville.

No comments:

Post a Comment