Wednesday, November 23

On Being An American Patriot

I was in the military during the Vietnam War, so does that make me a patriot?


I pay my taxes every year on time without trying to see how little I can pay, so does that make me a patriot?


I obey all the laws of the land and do not complain, so does that make me a patriot?


I am NOT CONVINCED that just by being in the military, paying taxes, and following the law makes me a patriot...

Why?


Doing these three items makes me a good American, but that is not necessarily being a patriot...

Why?


Because, being a patriot is expressing a feeling of LOVE, DEVOTION, ATTACHMENT, and LOYALTY for this country.


I enjoy living in the US of A, but I would not say that I love, am devoted, have an attachment, or am loyal...  that just isn't who I am.


Just because I don't love, am devoted, have an attachment, or am loyal to the US of A, does not mean I want to live some where else....


This country has an enormous amount of problems that it has yet to face and deal with other than try to ignore....  

These are:

  1. What we did to the Native Americans
  2. What we did to blacks
  3. Double standards under the law
  4. Rank has its privileges
  5. Wealthy arrogance
  6. Educated arrogance
  7. Religious arrogance
  8. Gender inequality
  9. Law Enforcement abuse of power
  10. Management and labor bitterness
  11. North and South rivalries
  12. Our Political Leaders LIE
  13. We intentionally bend the laws
  14. Corrupt judges
  15. Insatiable greed

Will any of this change?
I have live 75 years and none of it has changed in my lifetime...

Sadly, without the wealthy,
  • we would not have companies
  • we would not have goods and services
  • we would not have contributions to charities
  • we would not have new product development

This is the greatest country in the world right now based upon the FREEDOMS that we have and others do not have...  BUT, I don't consider myself to be a PATRIOT...   I entered the military simply so that the government would pay for my college and grad schools...


No comments:

Post a Comment