Saturday, November 26

Cleaning House

My wife and I have lived in our current house for 22 years and during those two decades have collected an enormous amount of useless shit that we are now in the process of gathering up, taking out to the curb for collection or driving it to the landfill ourselvses and throwing it away...  


Now, that we are almost finished with that task, I am looking at my clothes to see what items in that area can be thrown away.  I have several suits and sports jackets I wore to work that I no longer need...  maybe 1-2 suits for funerals but the rest can go... along with all those dress shirts and ties...  I betcha I have over 50 ties...


In addition to those clothes, I betcha I have over 50 T-shirts as well as over 50 knit shirts with and without collars that I seldo wear as I have my favorites that I keep wearing over and over again.  It started out with T-shirts with pockets to carry my cigarettes but I stopped smoking at age 40, so for the last 35 years, I have not really needed any of those T-shirts with pockets and yet many are still here.


Many are still here because companies in the USA 30 years ago make products that lasted a long time...  now they make products that only last 2-3 years, maybe 5 years at the most...  They need REPEAT BUSINESS for profits and dividends paid to stockholders.


If I had my way, I would only need two pairs of jeans, one blue and one black.  Maybe 5-6 T-shirts and 5-6 knit shirts with collars, and maybe 1-2 knit/nylon type pants, along with 2 pairs of sweats and 3-5 pairs of shorts.


How many times a week or a month or a year do you think a 75 year old is going to need to dress up to go out into the public other than appointments with doctors?  not many...  I can tell you that.  So, why all these damn clothes?


My visits outside this house maybe average 5 a month during a busy month.  I don't need to shower and dress just to get gas for the cars or lawnmowers...  and, if the Dems had their way, I would have an electric car and just need to plug that bad boy into an outlet before going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment