Friday, September 30

Walking to Live Longer

 


I met with my lumbar fusion surgeon yesterday and was reprimanded for all my silly questions that had very little to do with my recovery like asking for therapy to strengthen my legs so I could climb stairs.  The surgeon had bend my legs and lift them up while sitting on the exam table and he pushed them both down effortlessly which mean my core strength is NOT THERE...


My core strength is not there because of my age and my inactivity since 2015 when I retired.  Sitting behind a desk all my working career did not help either.  But, focusing on my back issues, I was having a problem for about 4-5 months before the surgery...  so his advice was for every day down (as he put it), it takes 2-3 to recover.


With this in mind and if I walk every day, it will take me at least 8-10 months and perhaps 12-15 months or somewhere in between those 2 time frames.  Suffice it to say, I am looking at a good 12 months in order for me to return to normacy.  


So far, it has only been 4 months, so I have a good 8 months to go...    my next milestone is going to be at the end of 2022 or December 31, 2022 which is a good 3 months from now or a total of 7 months after surgery...  


However, this milestone is only viable if I am willing to walk a mile or more every day around the neighborhood.


At 75 years of age, this is my new life whether I like it not and will be your life if you don't start walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment