Sunday, June 5

Back Surgery

In three days, I will be going in for back surgery...  actually it is called PLIF surgery to fuse my lumbar vertebrae. L2-L3-L4-L5 & S1 will be fused which is considered to be a 4 level fusion...   and, I will not be able to drive a vehicle for 4-6 weeks nor will I be able to do any physical therapy for 12 weeks other than walk a little bit on a flat surface each day.  It is the most major surgery that I have ever experienced or will experience including 3 heart surgeries...  The photo below left is probably how my back is going to look after the surgery...  but there will also be 2 rods on either side as well...

you cannot always find a photo to match up with your surgery...  

I have been told that the surgery will last about 4-6 hours and that I will spend at least one night in the hospital but no more than two nights...

Hospitals are not the best place to recover from surgery even though there is a nurse assigned to take care of you...  you are in a strange room, using a strange bathroom, and strange people keep coming in to run tests and wake you up...

However, sometimes the food is actually pretty good, I must admit...

Unfortunately, I will not be able to post anything for several days...  after this coming Tuesday, and Wednesday's post reflects my situation as well as reminds you of my circumstances.  I trust you will give me a few days to recover before I start posting and writing again.

My doctor said that there is nothing that I did to cause this to happen...  that it is just AGE and had I not have been as active as I was, it would have been worse...  until the last couple of years, my wife and I used to walk 5 miles a day, 7 days a week unless it was raining, snowing, or too cold.  We also stopped eating red meat and fried foods 15 years ago and limited our intake of alcohol.  I quit smoking at the age of 40 and have never looked back.

Life is strange but you must do the best that you can with what you have been given.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment