Monday, June 20

A Little Mishap

Yesterday morning, I was in the kitchen toasting an English Muffin and decided that while it was cooking I would get the jelly and a spoon.  We have had irobots cleaning our floors every day because of 3 cats for over 3 years and their noise is still present but sounds like background noise so it is pretty much ignored by me.  

That ignoring worked to my disadvantage as when I turned the damn irobot was right behind me and after my first step, I immediately fell.  My arms instinctively reached out and hit the top of our free-standing island, slowing me down enough to land on my knees and not bounce off the island and onto the floor quite possibly landing on my back or side.

I stayed in that position for a couple of minutes waiting for the onset of additional pain but none arrived, so I pulled myself up and called out to my wife as I headed back to the bedroom to lay flat on my back on our bed.  My wife entered the room and checked me out as I explained to her what had happened.  She found nothing.

But, as the day gradually unwound, my lower back began aching more and more so I spent more than normal today laying on my back on the bed.

I don't think I damaged the surgery but I do think my already beat-up back muscles went into action as soon as they realized I was falling...  it will take a couple of days perhaps to get them calmed back down.

Lesson Learned:  pay attention to everything in your house or in your environment, even if you don't think there are any hazards around...  because they are there and they will reach up and bite you in the ass like they did me.  Don't take anything for granted and make sure you are aware of sound and anything around whenever you decide to move or change locations.


No comments:

Post a Comment